Natal Fever

Musings, opinions, history, local & national news and a few rants.

Google

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Clock Ticks
I suffered yet another birthday a few days ago; my 66th to be exact. My mother told me it was a hot and humid night when I was born which possibly explains my dislike for this time of the year here in sub-tropical Durban. You know how it is when people greet each other with an exclamation of 'A stinker today isn't it' in an expression of mutual support and suffering. To put the boot in they add '..and they say it will last well into March!'

The local newspaper invariably has a picture of someone frying an egg on the pavement and then articles on the ideal braai and the salads to go with it. To balance things out dire warnings are slipped in on the perils of skin cancer induced by excessive exposure to the sun. This is usually taken lightly until you find yourself in the operating theatre having that strange growth removed from the side of your nose.

But I digress. As usual......

Call me sentimental but I do like birthdays. Not only my own but those of family and good friends. They are special because they aren't some form of shoddy artificial 'day' such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Secretary's Day, Valentines' Day invented by those with commercial avarice. The day belongs to you.

It's so nice to be the centre of interest of your family and friends on 'your' day. To receive unexpected greetings from those whom you least expected to hear from. Perhaps even a greater pleasure is wishing someone close to you a special 'Happy Birthday' and seeing the pleasure it gives them.

I suppose this is what makes us what we are......human. We feel truly human when we are recognised with genuine affection by others.

I enjoyed my day. I hope you enjoy yours when it comes around again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker